What to Expect: Exposure of Impacted Teeth
The expose and bond procedure entails exposing an impacted tooth and bonding an orthodontic bracket to assist in your orthodontic treatment.
What to Expect After Surgery
- Slight swelling
- Minor bleeding
- Numbness due to anesthesia for up to six hours
- Discomfort for several days
- Sutures will be placed and will dissolve
- A gold or elastic chain will be visible from the surgical site and will attach to your existing braces
Please Follow These Instructions
- Drink plenty of liquids
- Eat a soft diet for the first 24 hours
- Avoid hot foods or liquids while still numb
- Avoid crunchy foods for the first week
- If bleeding occurs, apply firm pressure to the area for 15-20 minutes with cotton rolls or gauze that was provided. Repeat as needed.
- Avoid mouthwashes – rinse with saltwater three times per day for one week.
- To reduce swelling, elevate head and apply ice packs to the face
- Limit physical activity the day of surgery.
Oral Hygiene and Smoking
It is important to maintain oral hygiene so that the wound will heal properly and not become infected.
Antibiotics and Pain Medications
Have any prescriptions filled promptly and take as directed. Non-narcotic medications
(Motrin, Advil, Ibuprofen, Tylenol) should be taken as soon as possible and repeated as prescribed for the first several days. Narcotic pain medication can be taken in addition if pain relief is not adequate. However, when narcotic pain medications (Percocet, Vicodin, Tylenol with Codeine) are taken, you should not operate automobiles or other power equipment. Antibiotics, when prescribed, should be taken as indicated until gone. If a rash or swelling develops, discontinue the antibiotic immediately and call the office to inform your doctor.
Call Your Doctor if
- The gold or elastic chain or bracket loosens and comes off.
- You have signs of infection, sudden swelling, or fever
- You have a reaction to any of the medications
- You experience prolonged bleeding
- Pain increases and/or your condition worsens
- You have any questions regarding the surgery or post-surgery instructions. If calling after business hours, you will be directed to a paging system or call 855-808-9500 and a doctor will promptly return your call.